As we predominantly offer Marketing, PR and Social Media services to the food and drink industry, we thought it was high time that we started writing about the sector that we know and love inside out.
We’ll be writing two recipe posts a month which we hope will inspire you to get creative in the kitchen. Enjoy!
Traditionally enjoyed as part of a cream team, scones are typically presented with various toppings and condiments such as jams and creams. However, we decided to experiment a little by putting together a gluten-free chocolate scone with a salted caramel centre recipe.
Making the scones is relatively straight forward and most of the ingredients can be easily sourced. We decided to use some of Choc Affair‘s salted caramel chocolate in this recipe, however, any of their chocolates could be used to add different hints of flavours to your scones.
MAKES 6-8 // TIME: 30 MINUTES // EASY
For the Doughnuts:
- 250g of gluten-free self-raising flour
- 75ml Whole Milk
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Xanthan Gum
- 50g caster sugar
- 40-60g Cocoa Powder
- 40g cold butter cubed
- 1 large egg and 1 egg yolk
- One square of Choc Affair’s salted caramel chocolate (1 square in each scone)
You will need:
- A mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Baking tray (greased)
- Add the gluten-free self-raising flour, whole milk, baking powder, xantham gum, caster sugar, butter, and 1 large egg into a mixing bowl and stir all the ingredients together until you have got a smooth dough.
- Pop in the cocoa powder and mix again until the cocoa powder is evenly distributed across the dough.
- Gently roll out the dough into a 2cm thick scone shape on a greased baking tray and push a small square of salted caramel chocolate into the middle of each scone.
- Whisk the egg yolk and evenly brush the tops of the scone dough, ensuring that the egg wash doesn’t run down the side of the scones.
- Heat the over to 200C and bake the scones for 15 minutes or until golden brown on the tops. Eat warm or cold and add generous amounts of condiments of your choice, if you like. Enjoy!